Why We Like The Rekon 3C/EXO/TR Tire
Inspired by the success of the Ikon cross country tire, Maxxis created the Rekon 3C/EXO/TR tire for more aggressive trails. Designed for hardpack, medium, and loose conditions the Rekon has larger knobs that are spaced further apart to improve grip while cornering and braking. The Rekon uses Maxxis’ 3C rubber compound to keep you glued to the ground while EXO sidewall protection fends off flats.
Wide center knobs provide extra control when braking, giving you more confidence to dive into rough terrain. The center knobs are ramped to preserve some of the fast rolling speed the Ikon was known for. The L-shaped side knobs hook up well in corners letting you carry more speed through to the next section. All knobs are siped to give them more surface area under load, further increasing traction on any trail surface. The tread pattern spaces the knobs further apart than the Ikon for better grip on loose surfaces and to help with mud-shedding.
The triple-density 3C rubber is a proven compound that balances high grip with fast rolling speeds to excel on all types of soil. The compound comes in two different versions for this tire. The 2.4in tire comes in the Maxx Terra compound which is a bit softer, maximizing grip and making this an excellent option for the front tire. The 2.25in comes in Maxx Speed, a slightly harder rubber that rolls fast and wears slower, making it a great rear tire. These are just recommendations though, either width can be used front and rear with success.
EXO sidewall protection resists abrasion, helping prevent rocks from slicing open your sidewall and allowing you to charge into rock gardens with confidence knowing your chance of flatting is reduced. The tire has a TR (tubeless-ready) bead, of course, so you can set it up tubeless with your favorite sealant but can always throw a tube in if needed.
- Quick-rolling trail tire for hardpack, medium, and loose trails
- Wide center knobs improve brake control for added confidence
- L-shaped side knobs offer support in loose corners
- Triple-density rubber balances grip and rolling resistance
- Maxx Terra compound prioritizes grip, great for the front
- Maxx Speed compound wears slower, great for the rear
- Sidewall protection resists abrasion to reduce risk of flats
- 2.4in Wide Trail (WT) version designed for 30-35mm internal rim widths
- Item #MXX007H
- [29 x 2.4in] 3C Maxx Terra, [29 x 2.25in] 3C Maxx Speed
- 29 x 2.4in, 29 x 2.25in
- [29 x 2.4in] 60tpi, [29 x 2.25in] 120tpi
- [29 x 2.4in] max 50psi, [29 x 2.25in] max 60psi
- Claimed Weight
- [29 x 2.4in] 2lb 13.6oz (840g), [29 x 2.25in] 1lb 7.6oz (670g)
- Manufacturer Warranty
- cross-country, trail
- Manufacturer Part Number