Bibless is better.
If you’re not on the bib train, you can still get bib levels of comfort and support from the Mavic Cosmic Elite Men’s Shorts. Modeled on its bibbed brother, these shorts use Skin Wick ST fabric to keep you cool and dry on hot summer rides and support your muscles even when the chip-seal pavement is especially bumpy.
Mavic joins the panels with flatlock stitching to reduce irritation and finishes the hems with wide Exo Grip elastic bands to keep your shorts in place and improve aerodynamics. Under it all sits the Ergo 3D chamois, which uses six thicknesses and three densities of foam to cushion your netherbits from harsh jarring on rough roads and sustained saddle pressure.
- Q & A
Excellent shorts, padding is perfect
- Familiarity: I've put it through the wringer
- Fit: True to size
- Size Bought: XL
I respectfully disagree with the other review. I LOVE these shorts. The padding is perfect for long cyclocross rides, which have plenty of bumps and jumps. Sizing is true. I am a 36"/38" waist and the XL was perfect. Good coverage fore and aft, in case you are walking into the coffee shop after a long ride.=) No, this is not transparent. This is the uniform, dude! Highly recommended for long rides at high speed where drag is a factor. Thanks to Gearhead Justin!
- Familiarity: I've used it once or twice and have initial impressions
- Size Bought: XL
Been eyeballing the Mavic shorts because of the styling. Finally ordered a pair and here's my initial day one thoughts.
1. Although the pad is thick and "feels" like it would be supremely comfortable, it wasn't. I admit it could be because my sit bones were still sore from a 63 mile ride, but that was five days ago. Today, wearing the Mavics, I only rode 13 miles. We'll re-eval this part again.
2. The pad is thick and I certainly didn't like feeling like a one year old who wasn't toilet trained carrying a load in his diaper. The fit was snug around the thigh and that's a plus. However, around the waist it felt like I kept having to pull them up. I don't have that issue with a cheaper pair of Pearl Izumi's.
3. It's sheer - or almost sheer. Wearing them, I could practically see my thigh underneath. That must have been the reason that old lady whistled at me. Keeping a rider cool is one thing, but something sheer like that is uncool, IMO.
I'm going to give these another try in a few days, for the fit. But the sheerness is a negative.