Glide down the trail.
It's tough to improve on a classic, but Kelty's managed to make the Redwing 40 Women's Backpack even better without adding all sorts of bells and whistles. Instead, it outfitted this overnighter with a new hydration sleeve that doubles as a laptop pocket when your travels are in the city instead of on the trail, and hooked up a new front pocket that makes it easy to stash a rain shell or fleece when you're on the move in variable conditions.
The rest of the Redwing is unchanged from the rugged polyester fabric, to the single LightBeam aluminum stay, and the strong but flexible HDPE framesheet. Coupled with the women's-specific suspension design, these features help stabilize your load and disperse weight between your shoulders and hips, while the breathable Hex Mesh backpanel, shoulder straps, and hip belt keep you cool when the trail is hot and dusty. You can also remove the hipbelt if you feel the need to go light and fast on your way to the summit, and stash your trekking poles and ice axes in the loops for easy scrambling. Kelty topped the Redwing off with pockets at the sides, front, and back for easy access to all your key gear, and even built in a hideaway daisy chain that lets you strap sleeping pads and wet layers onto the outside of your pack.
- LightBeam aluminum suspension and HDPE framesheet
- Hex Mesh back panel, shoulder straps, and hip belt
- Removable hip belt
- Dual-use laptop and hydration sleeve
- Ice axe/trekking pole loops
- Hideaway daisy chain
- Side, water bottle, top, and front pockets
- Familiarity: I've put it through the wringer
Overall it's a good pack but I wish I would've bought a unisex pack instead of the women's. I have not enjoyed the narrow straps
- Familiarity: I gave it as a gift but have feedback to share
I bought this for my wife and it has turned out to be a great pack. It sports a lot of pockets which the wife much prefers to the stripped down packs that are to my liking. Despite all the pockets it is actually a light weight pack at 2.7 pounds.
I'm not sure this pack would be comfortable hauling heavy weight, but in the 20 pound range my wife finds it quite comfortable.
No complaints so far. Kelty always seems to turn out decent gear at a good price and sometimes remarkable gear for the price. This is one of those sometimes.
Kelty Redwing 40 Women's Overview
Love this pack!
- Familiarity: I've used it several times
This pack is a perfect size for me- I use it as a commuter pack, I take it on weekend trips, and I even use it as a gym bag sometimes. I was looking for a pack that is a little bigger than a day pack, and the Redwing 40 is great. I also love that you can remove the hip belt. I had to call customer service to figure out how to do it, but it makes the pack more versatile.
16.5 - 18.5in
(42 - 47cm)
18.5 - 20.5in
(47 - 52cm)
15.5 - 21in
(39 - 53cm)
14.5 - 18.5in
(37 - 47cm)
13 - 19in
(33 - 48cm)
14 - 18in
(36 - 46cm)
9 - 14in
(23 - 36cm)
- How to Measure Your Torso:
- Measure your torso length by bending your head forward so your chin touches your chest. Feel for the most prominent bump at the back of your neck. Now measure from that point down to an imaginary line connecting the tops of your hips around your back. This works best with a partner's help.