Eye protection for those who go the distance.
Julbo created the Ultra Sunglasses for endurance athletes who run, bike, sweat, and otherwise push their performance to the outer limits. Lightweight and designed with a streamline shape, this frame offers a close fit that stays put when you're moving fast. A vented lens design helps to minimize fogging that would impair your vision, and the photochromic technology allows the lenses to automatically adjust tint darkness as you move in and out of light on the trail. Reach for the Ultra Sunglasses when you need one pair of shades for everything.
Proposition 65 Warning for California Consumers: This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and/or birth defects or other reproductive harm.
- Zebra Light lenses use photochromic technology that allows the lens tint to change with the amount of available light, when it's bright out the lenses go dark and when it's dark out the lenses turn lighter
- Flexible nose pieces and curved, wrapping temples are shaped for a snug fit with your face
- Grip Tech inserts help the temple pieces comfortably hold on your face without slipping around
- Full lens venting allows for air to enter at the top of the lenses and circulate behind the lenses, which reduces fogging
- Q & A
Julbo Ultra with Zebra Light Lens
- Familiarity: I've put it through the wringer
The good. The Zebra Light lens is fantastic. It is almost clear in the dark so I can ride my mountain bike at night with a headlight using these lenses. During the day, going into and out of the woods the lenses change very quickly. They are perfect mountain biking and trail running lenses. Also, the ventilation of the oversized lenses on the Ultra is top notch. They never fog, even in the worst conditions. They are the best in this regard as well.
The bad. They don’t get super dark so they’re not great in all day bright sunlight or high altitude, or in snow unless you ski in the woods a lot. The frames on the Ultra are extremely flexible. Too flexible. As a result they don’t grab very tightly and fall off if you look down, even if you have a wide head. So I have to wear a lanyard to hold them on my head. I have owned the Julbo Venturi and Run frames which are stiffer and they were pretty near perfect and I would give them each 5 stars.
Julbo Zebra Light Lens Details
Julbo Ultra Sunglasses
Not great for skiing
- Familiarity: I've used it once or twice and have initial impressions
I only used these once before returning them, so perhaps they are better in some conditions than others. I have been happily using the normal julbo zebra lens for quite some time, so I thought these would be perfect glasses for me. I tend to fog up glasses backcountry skiing on the up track, so the extra venting of these trail running glasses seemed perfect. I was also eager to try the new 'zebra light' lens of these glasses since I often ski in the low light pea soup of the Pacific Northwest. However, on my first day of using them in cloudy conditions on Mt Rainier the photo chromatic lens was completely off. Instead of adjusting slightly (like my normal zebra lens) to cut the significant glare, they went instantly to the darkest setting making it virtually impossible to see. Despite being intended for trail running the julbo website said these would be good for mountain pursuits but that was not the case for me.
|SPECTRON POLYCARBONATE--LIGHT YET OFFERS GOOD SHOCK RESISTANCE, IS MULTIPURPOSE AND SUITABLE FOR ALL SPORTS|
|VLT*||TREATMENTS||RECOMMENDED USES||PROTECTION INDEX|
|SPECTRON 0||90%||clear sight||cloudy conditions||0|
|SPECTRON 1||49%||hi contrast||partly sunny conditions||1|
|SPECTRON 3||13%||mountains, water, bright sun||3|
|SPECTRON 3+||12%||flash finish||mountains, water, bright sun||3|
|SPECTRON 3 CF||12%||color flash||mountains, water, bright sun||3|
|SPECTRON 4||5%||flash finish + anti-reflective||mountains, water, bright sun, NOT DRIVING||4|
|SPECTRON 4 BABY||5%||flash finish + anti-reflective||mountains, water, bright sun, NOT DRIVING||4|
|POLARIZED 3||12%||polarizing||mountains, water, bright sun||3|
|POLARIZED 3+||11%||polarizing + flash finish||mountains, water, bright sun||3|
|POLARIZED 3 CF||11%||polarizing + color flash||mountains, water, bright sun||3|
15 / 17%
|polarizing||mountains, water, bright sun||3|
|PHOTOCHROMIC--OPTIMUM QUALITIES FOR AN ORGANIC LENS WHILE BENEFITING FROM A MINERAL GLASS MANUFACTURING TECHNIQUE (VERY LOW-TEMPERATURE CASTING). ITS TRANSPARENCY AND STABILITY OVER TIME ARE EXCEPTIONAL (NO CRACKING). IT IS ULTRA LIGHT, UNBREAKABLE AND SOLVENT-RESISTANT.|
|VLT*||TREATMENTS||RECOMMENDED USES||PROTECTION INDEX|
|ZEBRA||35 - 7%||photochromic (SHR) + anti-fog coating + oil-repellent coating (external side)||mountains, water, bright sun||2 to 4|
|ZEBRA LIGHT||75 - 17%||photochromic (NTS) + anti-fog coating + oil-repellent coating (external side)||mountains, water, bright sun||1 to 3|
|ZEBRA LIGHT RED||72 - 13%||photochromic (NTS) + anti-fog coating + oil-repellent coating (external side)||mountains, water, bright sun||1 to 3|
|CAMEL||20 - 5%||photochromic (NTS) + polarizing + anti-fog coating + oil-repellent coating (external side)||mountains, water, bright sun, NOT DRIVING||2 to 4|
- ALL JULBO LENSES ARE OPTICAL CATEGORY 1, GUARANTEEING 100% PROTECTION AGAINST UVA, B AND C RAYS
- *VLT (VISIBLE LIGHT TRANSMISSION):
- THE PERCENTAGE OF AVAILABLE LIGHT ALLOWED TO REACH THE EYE (THE LOWER THE NUMBER, THE DARKER THE LENS)
- prevents condensation and guarantees maximum longevity
- reduces eye strain and eliminates interference glare
- increases the filtering of visible light
- Flash Finish:
- improves filtration of visible light through a mirror effect on the lens
- makes water slide off the lens; prevents hydrogen bonds forming between water molecules; visibility is improved
- Oil-Repellent Coating:
- prevents finger marks, makes water slide over the lens and cleaning easier