"Most minimalist" doesn't have to be an oxymoron.
The 3400 Porter Backpack is the most minimalist pack in Hyperlite Mountain Gear's ultralight collection. With a capacity of fifty liters, the Porter has enough space for weekend desert trips or day-long alpine adventures whether you're climbing ice or rock. Hyperlite Mountain Gear made this pack out of the same Dyneema fabric used in climbing gear for long-lasting durability without the weight.
Unique to Hyperlite Mountan Gear, the Porter's Dyneema Hardline suspension system lines the shoulder straps, waist belt, and back panel in foam padding and spacer mesh for breathable comfort, and there are removable aluminum stays for stability when you need it. The Porter has a roll-top closure and taped seams for protection against wet weather and snowy grounds. There are also daisy chain attachments for ice axes and other climbing gear, as well as zippered pockets for valuables and electronics.
- Dyneema Hardline suspension system
- Removable aluminum stays
- Padded, mesh-lined back panel, shoulder straps, and waist belt
- Roll-top closure
- Daisy chain ice axe attachements
- Zippered internal pocket and zippered waist belt pockets
- Compression straps
- Q & A
the less you have to carry up hill, the less you have to carry up hill...!
Get what you pay for
I bought this pack directly from hyperlite with the ski carry option for the extra Dyneema on the bottom and the sides. I had desert backpacking and specifically the Grand Canyon in mind. Like magic, Im carrying less stuff since downsizing from an 80L pack. This thing carries 30-40 lbs like a dream and the extra daisies which the other two large packs don't have are nice too. I love the simple, practical construction and the fact that this pack has everything you need, nothing you don't. The roll top is a simple and effective system that, by its design, takes care of extra bulk and material when carrying less. The hip pockets are a little hard to get stuff in and out of but they are a nice touch. The fact that this is made right here in the US is big plus for as well. Its not cheap, but if you spend as much time in the desert as i do, its worth every penny.
Hyperlite Mountain Gear
|Torso Length||15 - 17in
(38.1 - 43.2cm)
|17 - 19in
(43.2 - 48.3cm)
|19 - 21in
(48.3 - 53.3cm)
- How to Measure:
- Your torso length, not your height, determines your pack size. Hyperlite Mountain Gear recommends the following to determine yours:
1. Tilt your head slightly forward to locate the bony bump at the base of your neck. (This is your C7 vertebra).
2. Using a flexible tape measure, have someone measure starting at that spot and running down along the curve of your spine.
3. Place your hands on your hips so you can feel your iliac crest, which serves as the "shelf" of your pelvic girdle. (It's the first hard thing you feel when you run your fingers down from the sides of your ribcage.) Position your hands so your thumbs are reaching behind you.
4. Have your friend finish measuring at the point where the tape crosses an imaginary line drawn between your thumbs.
5. If your measurement falls right in between sizes, we suggest you choose the large torso size.