Go anywhere.

On the days you'd rather meander through evergreen forests and forge your own trails on snowy ridgelines, throw the Atomic Women's Motion Skintec Ski in the car and head for the fresh stuff. Built for tours focused more on the adventure than on pace and distance, the Motion Skintec comes with a women-specific construction ensuring it glides and kicks like it was made for you.

New this year, Atomic borrowed its Skintec grip technology from its top-of-the-line Redster series and bestowed it upon the Motion in the form of Skintec Bonded Skins. Instead of traditional kick wax, Skintec modules hold onto the snow during long ascents, acting like miniature climbing skins. This delivers the grip you need to climb powerfully in a slim and lightweight package.

Once you make it to the descent, the Motion's slender shape will keep you gliding along through open meadows on hard or soft snow. A durable High Densolite core contributes to this dynamic feel without weighing the skis down, and the BI 3000 base holds plenty of wax to keep you moving while adapting easily to whatever changing snow conditions you throw at them.

  • Nordic touring ski great for off-trail exploration
  • Skintec Bonded Skins lend lightweight grip on the ascent
  • Narrow, straight shape keeps you gliding on the flats
  • Tough BI 3000 bases adapt to a wide range of snow conditions
  • Lively, lightweight core for a nimble feel
  • Reviews
  • Q & A

Atomic skintec women 184

  • Familiarity: I've used it once or twice and have initial impressions

The Atomic skintec women xc ski is a quality ski, but it did not work for me. I am a recreational xc skier with basic skills. I liked the glide on downhills, but I had a great deal of difficulty with uphills, sliding and lacking grip. I used the skis on well groomed trails with fresh snow. I am right in the middle of the recommended weight range for the 184. It may be that the ski was too stiff for me and it might be very good for a skilled skier with more aggressive technique.

AZU: I've used this ski (the male version) for 3 years now. It is a wonderful solution for MOST conditions. In the XC world, NOTHING works all the time. If anyone is looking for a single pair of ski that would do everything reasonably well, get a wax ski and learn to wax well. It is a rewarding thing and an art form as well as science. :-) Even then, there will be a small set of conditions that wax does not work well. To illustrate this point, look at olympians who use wax specialists that test the tracks and rely on years of experience and still get it wrong sometimes. Also, it is enough to go from sunny track where a ski (and wax) would work incredibly well to a shaded portion of the track where it is very difficult to get good grip, or vice versa.
This ski is designed to work in a wide range of conditions, and does so very well. I have found that on loose, fresh snow it does not, especially right around 31-32 deg F. In these conditions, and specifically if there isn't a firm track, an upper- end fish-scale is a good solution.
Bottom line: this ski is designed for situations when you do not have much time to fuss with the right wax, and just want a quick workout. On busy days in which I try to squeeze a work out into my schedule, I'll put the rester skintec in my car as well as a fischer RCS crown (for soft, new snow conditions) and I'm set for 95% of conditions. The remaining 5% will have to include a variety of waxes, klisters, keister-covers and other tricks. Don't give up, it will get better!