There's always room for more warmth.
You may feel comfortably warm as you tackle climbing projects and steep hikes, but you sure cool down fast as soon as you reach the campsite. Lucky for you, the Outdoor Research Women's Ultra Down Parka packs down to fit in already-cramped climbing and hiking packs so you can find warmth wherever you need it. 800-fill down insulation gives this parka plenty of warmth without much weight, and it compresses small enough to fit in the left-hand pocket for compact convenience. The Pertex Quantum shell blocks the breezes that leave you brisk at the boulder fields.
- Lightweight, compressible parka for chilling in chilly conditions
- 800-fill down insulation has a phenomenal warmth-to-weight ratio
- Pertex Quantum shell is windproof, water-resistant, and durable
- Hood rolls into collar for customized coverage
- Elastic drawcord hem stays secure in windy weather
- Left hand pocket doubles as stuff sack
- Q & A
Great around-town jacket
- Familiarity: I've used it several times
- Fit: True to size
- Size Bought: small
For many years now I have worn a waist-length, non-hooded Patagonia jacket in the 600-650 fill category. While I have loved it, I was tired of being cold when the temps really dropped (or always layering a fleece underneath). I do run cold, so once I had the money I wanted to buy a long down jacket with a hood and a high fill loft. I tried on many jackets at BC and loved many of them, but ultimately I chose this one because it was the warmest for the best price (others I liked were a lower fill/similar price or similar fill/higher priced). A few other reasons I chose it:
1. It was one of the lightest down jackets I tried on (and I tried about 5-6 on). Which means it's not a bulky monstrosity to carry around on my arm.
2. It has these soft warm inner cuffs - which mean cold air never flows up your sleeves and you don't have to try to velcro or snap the sleeves down.
3. It's relatively slim profile - not tight, but it holds in warm air since it maintains a tailored shape along the body.
4. The zipper can be unzipped from top or bottom. This matters when you need that extra knee/leg movement (for getting in and out of your truck! or whatever).
5. The tailoring is very stylish. My fiance thinks I look super hot in this coat!
A few drawbacks:
1. The hood wasn't as great as the hoods on some other jackets I tried. It's smaller than most and produces crazy static cling on the hair. However, it's quite adjustable and I decided it was ok with the other features present.
2. I really wanted an unusual color like the raspberry or silver, but unfortunately I felt like these colors, combined with the shiny fabric, made me look more marshmellow-like in the booty and stomach. So I went with black since it didn't reflect contoured light as much.
I would love it if this jacket was made in other colors, like dark teal or forest green etc. I am 5'6 and my weight fluctuates between 120-130#. I am either a small or medium in most jackets, but this seemed to run true to size on the slightly large-ish side, so I got the small.