- Detail Images
FST, oh FST.
Don't let the vowel-less acronym in Merrell's Moab FST Hiking Shoe for Men deceive you into thinking it stands for some sort of hiking-related expletive. In fact, the FST stands for Fit and Superior Traction, which should offer some element of suggestion as to how well this shoe performs on the trail.
Designed specifically to cater to your light-and-quick pursuits, the Moab features the same dependable performance as its elder sibling, but with a lighter midsole and more modern upper. A breathable mesh boasts TPU overlays for torsional support, while the bellow tongue prevents debris from sneaking into your sock. The M Select FIT.ECO EVA footbed offers personalized support, and the odor-resistant treatment keeps foot funk at bay. Additionally, the Moab FST features a molded nylon arch shank for day-long support, and the EVA midsole (combined with an air-filled heel unit) offers shock attenuation. Not to mention, the Vibram MegaGrip outsole uses 5mm lugs to ensure ample traction in otherwise slick situations.
- A lightweight and breathable hiking shoe for fast-and-quick pursuits
- Breezy mesh and TPU upper make this shoe ideal for hot climates
- Bellow tongue keeps debris at bay
- EVA foam footbed features odor-resistant treatment
- Molded, nylon arch shank assures trek-long support
- Lightweight, EVA midsole and heel unit provides shock attenuation
- Vibram MegaGrip is equipped to handle the slickest of scenarios
- Q & A
- Familiarity: I've used it several times
- Fit: True to size
True to size, very comfortable for my average width foot. I always wear a size 9 and never really needed to go wide or narrow with a shoe, these fit spectacularly. The Vibram sole is aggressive and provides excellent grip. I didn't wear my last pair of Merrell's every day, but frequently enough and I had them for about seven years which is why I decided to reinvest.
4 Stars instead of 5 because this is a new model for me and they have yet to prove themselves in the long run. I will probably bump my opinion of these up to 5 after a year of use.