- Detail Images
Power to the puffy.
The Marmot Women's Alchemist Down Jacket is one of the few puffies you can wear to ski resorts without an additional hardshell. It's darn near impossible to create a puff with the waterproof protection required for ski days, because stitched baffles usually found in down jackets allow water to seep through like a sponge, and down insulation is basically useless when it gets wet. Instead of stitching the baffles, Marmot welded them together so there aren't any holes for water to get in, and then Marmot added a waterproof, breathable MemBrain for good measure.
The Alchemist's down insulation has a fill rating of 700, meaning it has a high loft content, low weight, and plenty of warmth for winter's weather. As a ski jacket, the Alchemist features a protective powder skirt to keep snow off your toosh, and internal cuffs keep snow out of the sleeves. There are pockets for your sunglasses, goggles, ski pass, and even a ThemoCell pocket that protects your phone from freezing temperatures. The integrated Recco transceiver may help Recco-equipped ski patrols find you in an emergency.
- One of the few puffies suitable for skiing and snowboarding
- Waterproof, breathable MemBrain with fully taped seams
- 700-fill down insulation for lofted warmth
- Welded baffle construction eliminates the need for stitched holes
- Protective powder skirt keeps snow off your keester
- Pockets for phones, goggles, sunglasses, and more
- Q & A
- Familiarity: I returned this product before using it
- Fit: True to size
- Size Bought: large
The photo is a bit misleading as this jacket is quite boxy and not tapered in at the waist. I'd say it fits true to size with the length on me being low hip. It is beautifully made and seems very warm. Sadly it is too big through the body on me so I will be returning it and I fear a smaller size will leave the sleeves too short for my long arms.