- Detail Images
The Modesto 3 is the latest generation of Louis Garneau's most popular men's cycling jacket. It may not be as breathable or versatile as the more expensive Spire jacket, but its combination of a wind- and water-resistant main body material and highly breathable paneling under the arms means it's more than enough jacket to see most cyclists through from November to March.
As with its predecessors, the Modesto 3 is also cut more generously than LG's race wear, so it can accommodate insulating sublayers to keep you riding in the depths of winter. A less flattering fit is a small price to pay for a jacket that'll keep you off the indoor trainer and out on the road for longer.
- A cycling jacket for cold weather and inclement conditions
- Main body constructed with weather-resistant paneling
- Supplemented with mesh inserts to boost breathability
- Standard fit leaves space for thermal layering
- Spacious rear pocket zips closed to protect accessories
- Zipper garage eliminates contact between zipper and throat
- Storm flap reinforces zipper against the weather
- Reflective details help keep you visible on cold, overcast days
- Q & A
Good cool weather jacket
- Familiarity: I've used it several times
- Fit: True to size
I'm 6'0, 178 lbs (33 inch waist, ~41 inch chest) and the Large fits great. It's "fitted," which keeps it from flapping in the wind but it isn't so tight that I can't wear a long-sleeved jersey underneath and still have good range of motion. I think it will work in the 45-55*F temperature range - maybe a bit higher with only a short-sleeved jersey.
This jacket is very light weight. The wrist cuffs are secure and the waist hits at the right spot - not too high or low. I like the high-visibility yellow and there are multiple reflective accents. The large, zippered rear pocket easily holds my gloves and skull cap when I shed them mid-ride.
The only missing feature is a dual-direction zipper so I can access my jersey pockets without unzipping from the top.
Thanks to Greg for helping me with my selection!