An uncompromising type-V PFD stacked with features for whitewater professionals and career rescuers.
Designed specifically for swift-water rescuers and whitewater professionals, the Kokatat Maximus Prime Personal Flotation Device is a full-featured vest that can handle season after season of abuse at the hands of the hardest paddlers in the river. Burly 500D Cordura resists abrasion and the environmentally friendly Gaia foam offers high-performance flotation. It's stacked with safety features like a front lash tab that serves as a mounting point for essential gear, a quick-release chest harness and stretch mesh sleeve that accommodate a rescue tow tether, and an anchor for a strobe light at the back. And while you'll find many of these same safety features on the two other Kokatat class-V PFDs, the slimmer Ronin Pro and the more spartan Guide, the Maximus Prime offers the most chest protection, the widest shoulder straps, and the added security of dual front webbing adjustments, making it the ultimate solution for those looking for a professional-grade tool for rescue or heavy whitewater.
- Type V rating identifies this as a special-use PFD designed for kayaking and swift-water rescue
- Outer shell is made of 500D Cordura that's not only extremely durable, but it's also quick-drying
- Gaia foam is PVC-free to make it more friendly to the environment and it provides reliable, high-performance flotation a rescuer or serious paddler can count on
- Front-And-Center webbing adjustments give you quick, one-pull adjustment of the fit of your PFD
- Side-entry design ensures that you immediately get the correct fit at the shoulders and around the torso
- Rugged, side-entry zipper sits low and close to the PFD and it's capable of withstanding season-after-season of use on the river
- Shoulder straps feature soft neoprene material and a wide cut that ensures ultimate mobility and comfort
- Front flotation panels and webbing adjustments use a Dynamic Suspension System design that ensures the most unrestricted range of motion around your core
- Other features include a front lash tab and a strobe anchor at the back of the PFD
- Large front pocket is gusseted to make it easy to stash waterproof electronics or safety tools in the front of your PFD
- O-Ring attachment point, front chest-harness quick release, and tether/tow system further the rescue capabilities and safety of this PFD
- Inner liner utilizes a soft, warm material that can be used to warm your hands when you eddy out and have a break in the action on the cold, cold river water
- Stretch mesh sleeve enables the use of a cowtail or River Tow Tether
- Q & A
Maximus Prime PFD
the rescue belt
this gives you a better idea of how the side entry looks. It is a little tricky to put on at first, if you want something you can take on/off really quickly I don't know if you would enjoy this
Kokatat maximus prime
Just to give you a better idea of the knife sheath
Kokatat for the win
- Familiarity: I've used it once or twice and have initial impressions
I searched far and wide before ordering this PFD. Kokatat is a very reputable company in the paddling world and the lifetime warranty was hard to pass up. PFDs can be a little tricky to size because they are supposed to fit tight, when tightened correctly. I am 5'2 about 120 lbs ordered the xs/s and it is perfect. If you are in between sizes at all, I would keep in mind that the straps are obviously adjustable. This PFD is unique in particular because the shoulder straps tighten at the bottom. I have the yellow color, and have only used it a few times. Also keep in mind that stains/dirt/etc. show up on this color. However, I do not know a single person who does not have obvious use marks on their PFD. Overall, this is probably one of my favorite item I have ever ordered from BC. Would order this again, big fan of Kokatat.
can anyone else comment on the built in...
can anyone else comment on the built in knife sheath cover... how does tha work!?!?!?!... does it work well with NRS co-pilot!?!
I have not used this particular jacket, but the square used for the sheath (slightly obscured by the drop-down fabric) is the same standard one you'll see on any whitewater jacket, so it would definitely work with the Co-Pilot knife.
Give me a shout if you have any other questions! 800.409.4502 ext 4456.
see the picture i posted above for a better look!
- Familiarity: I've used it several times
If you have paddled around a lot of people, you pretty much know that everyone is usually going with either a Kokatat or an Astral PFD these days when it comes to Type V Rescue vests(less often NRS or Stohlquist). For me, the Kokatat Maximum Prime offered everything you need, yet was more comfortable and didn't restrict my torso rotation as much when kayaking. If you're a woman, you should definitely go with an Astral because they design them gender neutral (unlike this vest).
The couple things I don't like is that it doesn't fit a regular knife that well (only smaller ones) and there is no way you could even consider having a smaller throw rope handy (depends on your safety preference). Lastly, this vest can really cinch down, it's easy to restrict your breathing without realizing it since it's comfortable (so just be cognizant)