Power Trail Gore Windstopper Insulated Shorts
Insulated mountain bike shorts may seem like a strange concept, but cold weather riding pants simply don't offer the same mobility, and shorts work much better if you're using knee pads. Plus, for most temperatures down to the 50's, shorts are all you need for MTB anyway so why not have an insulated pair that keeps you warm in these moderately cold temperatures, such as these Power Trail Gore Windstopper Insulated Shorts. For even colder temps they work well as an overshort over the top of your bibs, liners, or thermal tights to provide an additional layer of protection from the cold while blocking wind, moisture, and mud from breaking through.
The shorts use Gore's Windstopper membrane that blocks chilly winds, mud, tire spray, and light precipitation while retaining some breathability for intense aerobic efforts like tough climbs. The durable synthetic materials are filled with PrimaLoft Silver insulation that stays warm without adding much weight, providing comfort for those brisk days exploring alpine singletrack in late fall or early spring.
The shorts feature a zipper on the lateral edge that makes it easy to slide them over shoes, making it a quick process to throw them on at the trailhead before your ride. An adjustable elastic waistband ensures a secure fit, while the pre-shaped knees ensure optimal comfort in our out of the saddle. Gore also includes some reflective details for improved low-light visibility pedaling from trail to home as dusk encroaches at the end of your ride.
- Insulated mountain bike shorts for cold and wet conditions
- Works well as an overshort over bibs, liners, or thermal tights
- Membrane is windproof and water-repellent while staying breathable
- Lightweight insulation stays warm without adding weight
- Lateral zipper makes it easy to slide them over shoes and knee pads
- Adjustable elastic waistband for a secure fit
- Pre-shaped knees for optimal comfort in the riding position
- Reflective logos help visibility on the way from trail to home
- Q & A
Nice and warm.
- Familiarity: I've used it once or twice and have initial impressions
- Fit: Runs small
- Size Bought: Medium
These shorts work very well and keep you surprisingly warm. The insulation combined with the windblocking material is a real winner.
My only complaint is that the do run a bit small. I have a 32" waist and got a medium, and while they fit just fine at the waist it would be difficult to add extra layers underneath if the weather called for it. This does limit their potential slightly.