Alpinist Plus Glide Skin
Whether you're trying to get some pre-work laps in or you're out on a multi-day mission, G3's Alpinist Plus Glide Skin provides reliable traction and a smooth glide so you can move as efficiently as possible. The mohair and nylon blend material offers a perfect combination of grip, glide, and durability, and though the Glide is designed with cold, dry conditions in mind, improved waterproofing prevents the skin from absorbing water and icing up.
G3 has refined its adhesive, meaning that you can rely on the stickiness of the Glide, even after multiple laps and long ascents, while the self-aligning tip attachment easily fits on any shape of ski, and prevents any snow from creeping under the skin and compromising the adhesive. Complete with a camming tail clip and elongated strap for further skin security and quick transitions, you'll be able to charge quickly and confidently up the steepest parts of your route.
- All-purpose climbing skin for cold, dry conditions
- Mohair and nylon blend offers combination of glide and durability
- Improved waterproofing prevents skins from soaking through
- Refined adhesive keeps skins secure on long adventures
- Alpinist tip attachment self-aligns to easily fit on any ski tip
- Camming tail clip with elongated tail strap stays securely on ski
- Trim tool and skin savers included
- Q & A
- Familiarity: I've used it several times
Though I've only used them two or three times, so far I'm a fan. As one of the reviews mentioned below, the plastic tip doesn't necessarily align perfectly with the skin, so the cut may be slightly awkward, but that hasn't affected performance thus far. These did slip a bit on the steeper skin tracks where there was a bit of fresh snow over top, however, that aside, they did their job and got me uphill. For this reason, I might suggest the Universal, but this is still a great skin that'll have you gliding to the top of the track.
A little cattywampus
- Familiarity: I've put it through the wringer
On paper these skins look amazing, and I was psyched to get them cut and on the track. However, I feel the quality control on these skins is subpar, as the plastic shovel bit is misaligned with the rest of the skin. This makes aligning both the plastic shovel bit and the tail clip impossible, as they are cut off kilter. I ended up cutting the skin with the tail strap dead center, but the plastic shovel and skin were pretty off kilter, so I had to cut some of the overhanging plastic shovel too.
I havent toured with it yet, but I hope it works out. If it does, id say its 4 star worthy.
After a handful of tours on em, they function perfectly. I havent had any actual issues with the weird cut of the skins, and the mohair/nylon mix is both grippy and smooth. Cosmetic/potentially defective issue aside, they are great skins worthy of 4 stars.
Introducing G3 ALPINIST + Climbing Skins
Dedicated to climbing skin evolution for over 20 years, G3 is proud
to launch ALPINIST+ and SPLITBOARD+, two complete lines of high
performance climbing skins that fit the ideal balance of GRIP and GLIDE for any given backcountry situation, anywhere, anytime.
How to Choose the Best Climbing Skins fo
Ed walks you through how to choose the best G3 Alpinist+ climbing skins for your needs. Choose from Universal, Grip, Glide, Speed, or Pow, then get out there and get after it.
G3 Alpinist+ GLIDE Climbing Skins
The ideal all-purpose, go-anywhere skin built for cold and dry conditions. 70% mohair for optimal glide and 30% nylon for added durability.
|X-Short||150 - 166cm|
|Short||161 - 177cm|
|Medium||172 - 188cm|
|Long||183 - 199cm|
|Short||153 - 169cm|
|Medium||168 - 184cm|
|Long||183 - 199cm|
|S / M||144 - 162cm|
|M / L||154 - 172cm|
- How to Measure:
- You can get maximum skin coverage by choosing a skin that is slightly narrower than the widest part of your ski, and trimming the skin to the sidecut / shape of your ski, as described in the skin instructions. The extra work required to trim will more than make up for itself with the superior grip of a skin with "wall to wall" coverage. Choose a skin that covers your ski base "wall to wall" (edge to edge) about 25cm (10in) back from the ski tip. For example, if the dimensions of your skis are 115-77-105, a pair of 110mm skins will do nicely.